Pet ownership can be filled with joy. However, when your pet is suffering from an illness or medical condition, it can be filled with frustration, too. Not knowing what your pet is feeling and experiencing can make a pet owner feel helpless.
What Is Internal Medicine?
Internal medicine is the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions, illnesses, and diseases. It covers issues related to organ function and body systems. From removing masses and diagnosing cancer to treating urinary infections, bladder stones, and stomach bloats and twists, Bemidji Veterinary Hospital can serve your pets every medical need.
The core areas of internal medicine include:
- Endocrinology—From Addison’s disease and diabetes to canine and feline thyroid disease, this type of internal medicine examines and treats issues related to the endocrine system and gland function.
- Gastroenterology—From disorders of the esophagus and stomach to the liver and the colon, pets deal with many of the same challenges humans do.
- Hematology—Red blood cell, platelet, and white blood cell disorders can affect your pet. This discipline of internal medicine examines the condition of your pet’s blood.
- Immunology—Just like their human counterparts, pets require a healthy immune system. Our doctors treat immunodeficiency diseases and other immune system issues.
- Infectious disease—Bacteria, fungi, and viruses are in a daily battle with your pet’s natural barriers. Internal medicine protects and treats these common invaders.
- Respiratory disease—The nose, larynx, trachea, bronchi, and lungs all function together to bring oxygen to your pet’s blood supply. When any one of these links of the chain has an issue, the entire system can be impacted.
- Urology—Kidneys, bladder, and urethra are part of an important filtration system your pet’s body needs working right.
Contact us today to learn more about internal medicine and how we can help your pet.
Explore Our Complete List of Veterinary Services in Bemidji, MN
- Soft Tissue Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Professional Dog Training Services
- Physical Rehabilitation
- Reproductive Services
- End-of-Life Care
- Parasite Prevention
- Allergy Testing
- Pet Emergency
- Spay & Neuter
- Wellness Exams
- Dental Care
- Senior Wellness
Call us or schedule an appointment online.
Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.
Put a plan together for your pet.