Veterinary Internal Medicine
Pet ownership can be filled with joy. However, when your pet is suffering from an illness or medical condition, it can be filled with frustration, too. Not knowing what your pet is feeling and experiencing can make a pet owner feel helpless.
When your pet’s general health condition is just not right, and the cause of the suffering is not clear, Bemidji Veterinary Hospital has the internal medicine experience that can help.
What Is Internal Medicine?
Internal medicine is the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of conditions, illnesses, and diseases. It covers issues related to organ function and body systems. From removing masses and diagnosing cancer to treating urinary infections, bladder stones, and stomach bloats and twists, Bemidji Veterinary Hospital can serve your pets every medical need.
The core areas of internal medicine include:
- Endocrinology—From Addison’s disease and diabetes to canine and feline thyroid disease, this type of internal medicine examines and treats issues related to the endocrine system and gland function.
- Gastroenterology—From disorders of the esophagus and stomach to the liver and the colon, pets deal with many of the same challenges humans do.
- Hematology—Red blood cell, platelet, and white blood cell disorders can affect your pet. This discipline of internal medicine examines the condition of your pet’s blood.
- Immunology—Just like their human counterparts, pets require a healthy immune system. Our doctors treat immunodeficiency diseases and other immune system issues.
- Infectious disease—Bacteria, fungi, and viruses are in a daily battle with your pet’s natural barriers. Internal medicine protects and treats against these common invaders.
- Respiratory disease—The nose, larynx, trachea, bronchi, and lungs all function together to bring oxygen to your pet’s blood supply. When any one of these links of the chain has an issue, the entire system can be impacted.
- Urology—Kidneys, bladder, and urethra are part of an important filtration system your pet’s body needs working right.