At Bemidji Veterinary Hospital, we want the current generation of pets to be healthy, as well as the next generation.
That’s why we offer a full range of reproductive services, including:
- Artificial insemination—Samples are collected from a male (sire) to implant into a female (dam). This can be done manually or surgically.
- In-house vaginal cytology—Examining the cells under a microscope helps us determine which stage of estrus the patient is in and can aid in deciding when is the optimal time to breed.
- Brucellosis testing—Some breeders require both the males and females to be tested if they want to breed. Brucellosis is a bacterial sexually transmitted disease (STD) that can cause abortion.
- C-sections—If the female is having difficulties during labor, sometimes a Caesarean section needs to be performed.
- Milk replacers—If the female is not producing enough milk for her litter, or is unavailable (due to C-section, is ill, is deceased, etc.) we have formula and supplements that can provide the correct type of nutrients to the newborn kittens or puppies.
- In-house progesterone testing—Monitoring the female’s progesterone levels can help determine the ideal time during the heat cycle for successful breeding.